Friday, June 17, 2011

For My Grandkids

For some time now, the youngest daughter has been encouraging me to document many of the stories I have told them verbally.  With all good intentions, I have done very little.  I have an adversion to taking a book and writing page after page.  Not sure why. 

Last year my son got sentenced to ten years in prison.  That changed many things, including my writing habits.  As he is incarcirated in another state, I don't get to visit him frequently.  We have struck up a heathy correspondence!  As I read the issues he stuggles with on a week to week basis, it triggers similar experiences from my past and I write about them.  At this point, he knows more about some of my early life trials than anyone else in the family.  I decided that as these memories come up, I needed a place to share them with all my children and grandchildren.

I have bought (and been given) several of those "Grandma's memories" books and the space they offer is too restrictive for me to even start answering the questions offered there. I gave those books to my Mom as well and now i think I know why she didn't fill them out. I like the idea of sharing my life by writing about subjects, rather than a timeline format.  That will fit well into a blog format and that is what I can going to start! 

No comments:

Post a Comment